Friday, May 15, 2009

SHOPPING!!!!

Day One of Spring Market...

The exhibit hall officially opens at 9:30. My appointments start a bit earlier. Margaret meets me and we do some quick work in the quiet before the "storm". Few stores have early morning meetings, it is a privilege but definitely makes the day longer.

The booths are perfect and pristine and the candy dishes are all overflowing!

So much to see with little time to look, absorb and plan. (Do you see the bird on Jennifer's shoulder?) I make lots of notes and take pictures. Some familiar designers are simple, merely plug them into the delivery schedule. If only it all were that easy. I saw all the reps within the last month or so, yet they all seen to have no fewer than 300 new fabrics to show me - from EACH company!!!
I had a busy morning with no pictures to share... I am working on some really cool things to bring back to the shop. Still fleshing out details...
BUT... I have LOTS I can tell you! :-)

GREEN GREEN GREEN. I will say it again. From celery to olive and everything in between. Green is hot. One of my male reps asked me if I really like it, or if I just order it. :-) I love it and I know a lot of you do as well.

Curry that we see in Pottery Barn is creeping in, but I predict it will be AT LEAST another 6 months before we see it.


Birds are everywhere!!!! Stuffed birds, marshmallow birds (peeps), silly birds, pretty birds.


Whimsical more than lifelike, the quilt world is enamored by our winged friends.




















Mixed media concepts going strong. Mixing textures is huge. (You can see some quilts at the shop that play with batik, print, solid and even corduroy all in the same quilt.) There are more lines with a variety of textures to use together. Sweetwater (we featured some really cool patterns from them last holiday season) is now with Moda Fabrics. Here is a preview of their fall line.











All work and no play make Julie a dull girl...

Tonight was the big Moda bash. Mark Dunn chartered a river boat to entertain the customers, designers and Moda employees.
What a great time! Great food and drink. A fun tour of the Pittsburgh area by river and a great networking opportunity for all as we were at sea for 2 1/2 hours. My Moda Rep arranged for her Wisconsin and Illinois shops to sit together. It was a great time to sit with my neighbors.
Here are just a few pictures of a few of the great support team at Moda. Each time I travel to one of these events, I gain more quiltie friends. It is so cool to be able to be on a first name basis with all the great people in this industry. Just another reason to love my job.




Time for rest. Tomorrow I have the most buying appointments. Tough job, but someone's gotta do it. :-)
Dreaming of all the quilts I will make with all the new fabric...
Julie :-)

No comments: