Saturday, October 25, 2008

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Day One has come to a close.

So last night it seemed like I really didn't know anyone here. Starting the day at 8:15 a.m., breakfast in the hotel lobby became a who's who of the quilt world. Me & My Sister's invited me over to their table, but I had already finished my bowl of corn flakes, so I declined - maybe tomorrow. Off to the show...

I have some really awesome fabric reps... one of my favorites got me in early this morning - before start of the show with coffee (shh don't tell anyone) Everything is so nice and peaceful right before the doors officially open. There are sales meetings at some of the booths, other booths are still "roped off" as the vendors have not all yet arrived.

I got to survey a few booths without the crowd and then it was down to business. At the Free Spirit booth, some the designers are lurking about the booth. Unbeknownst to me, Jenean was standing behind me with other members of the design team while I viewed her debut line. I started petting the fabric and I heard some giddy giggling. I turned around, saw her nametag and said "are you...?" We briefly chatted and she graciously posed for a picture with me. This is the absolute best part of market. The designers being just like you and me. They design fabric like we experiment with quilts. Market for them is like show and tell for us... with the small difference that their livelihood depends on us liking (hence buying) their fabric.

Keeping a tight appointment schedule, I saw all the new fabric offerings at Kaufman, Hoffman, Free Spirit, Andover, Benartex, Alexander Henry today. I had just enough time to walk around a bit.






Me and Nicole (Designer for Alexander Henry)





New fabrics from Hoffman




Fun "Lights, Camera, Action" from Andover - will be just in time for those Oscar parties.












Kim Schaefer's new line






Brown Bear - a followup to Hungary Catapillar


Something a little different was the amount of "contemporary funky" panel type pieces. These are 45" pieces that are appropriate for duvet covers or "convenience" quilts.

I found this really fun company Sweetwater (we carry some of thier black and white fabrics). She has some really fun "Pottery Barny" (yes that is a new word) patterns. We will be incorporating the ornaments in our after Thanksgiving workshops. I just think they are so FUN!!!




I picked up some great goodies today as well. Authors with book signings, Kim Schaefer got me a tote bag for her new fabric line, Anna Maria Horner autographed a book for me and gave me some other goodies.


Anna Maria Horner signing her new book for us!









Linda from Craftapple chatted with us and her new purse the chemisette.


Kaari at the Moda booth (she is originally from Milwaukee and will be a future fabric designer)


Tonight is the night for party hopping. Moda always has a great spread and Kaufman has a sophisticated intimate soirée. At the Kaufman party I had a great time connecting with different shops and chatting up the corporate execs and fabric designers. I had a really great chat with Debra and Michael from the Artisan Batik line. They have heard about all you batik club ladies and were asking what else they can do to help our club along! I don't know if you know it, but you ladies were the impetus behind getting that trunk show out and about to different stores!

Lots more stories and pictures tomorrow!
Julie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie!

So nice meeting you at QM! Sounds like you're keeping busy. We left last night and I'm still recovering! I hope you get all your shopping done!

Linda